GPS + Grass

Ronald Thomas ront at niwot.CNR.ColoState.EDU
Tue May 10 09:02:49 EDT 1994

In article <9405100341.AA11314 at cl08.cnde.iastate.edu> you write:

>Has anyone used Grass to read in GPS type data from the PC's serial
>port?  If so, which pieces of GRASS was used?
>
>-jr-

-jr-
	How about some more facts (ie. type of GPS, problems you are
	experiencing, system you want to load the GPS data onto, etc.)

Right now, your request for assistance is a bit vague.

We use a TRIMBLE pathfinder as our GPS, and correct the data using TRIMBLE
software on a PC.  We transfer the GPS/GIS output to a UNIX workstation by
one of two methods; via floppy disk or a communications package (PROCOMM).

We have a shareware package of floppy disk read/write utilities installed on
the workstation to read DOS floppies (MTOOLS).

The PC & workstation are connected via serial ports; we use PROCOMM to set
up a dumb terminal/remote login environment, and then transfer files
(at 19200 baud) via 'kermit' protocol.  We also move 'tiff' files from the
workstation to the PC in this manne.r

GRASS or any GRASS module does not enter into the transfer of GPS data, at
least in our setup.

Ronald Thomas                                ront at meeker.cfnr.colostate.edu
 Natural Resource Spec. (GIS)         ^^^    Phone: 303-586-1285
  Resources Management Division  ^^  ^^^^^   FAX: 303-586-1310
   Rocky Mountain National Park ^^^ ^^^^^^^  Estes Park, CO  80517