Demise of GRASS

Glenn Lawson ghl at nhq.scs.ag.gov
Wed May 11 08:51:42 EDT 1994

 I have been very concerned about this debate about the death of the
GRASS software. I believe it would be a grave mistake to drop GRASS.

 I have been very interested in seeing GIS (GRASS especially) installed
as a tool in the 3000 SCS field office around the country. We need to
provide this capability to our customers (farmers, ranchers or any one
involved with natural resource management). We can't afford to stay in
the dark ages. With this simple needs statement, I'll get to my point.
 Would any one please tell me one thing ARC INFO can do in the SCS field
offices that GRASS can't? Would you tell me what we need thats not in GRASS
now. We don't use 40% of GRASS software now. Sure there are always things
that would be nice but don't punish the other satisified users just because
a few like ARC INFO.
 The persons who will probably suffer will be our customers if all 3000
offices must install a commercial GIS software. SCS won't have funds to
buy software and data needed. We just won't be able to use it where it
really matters, at the field level. Lets focus on using GRASS at the SCS
field level at least and spend money on developing data. Even ARC users
may agree we need more data.

Happy GRASS USER
Glenn H Lawson