Using the unix "at" command with GRASS

James Darrell McCauley mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu
Sun Oct 2 15:37:20 EDT 1994

BAKERWL at UWYO.EDU (BAKERWL at UWYO.EDU) writes on 02 Oct 94:
>At times it would be nice to be able to make a file containing a set of
>GRASS commands, then submit it to be executed at a particular time using
>the unix "at" command or "crontab" Although I can make a file of commands

ditto. A while back, I hacked the grass shell (grass4.1 and GIS.sh)
so that using as something like:
  grass4.1 [-ef] [-d database] [-l location] [-m mapset]

I don't recall exact usage. the -f flag means "fast" (don't go
through annoying init screens). the -e flag means "fast exit" (don't
go through the usual exit-dance). the other options override defaults
in .grassrc.

Perhaps this could be extended a bit, e.g.,:
  grass4.1 -c 'g.list rast'
(-c like /bin/sh, would imply -fe above).

Someone well versed in Bourne shell could probably do this pretty quickly.
It would make a nice enhancment for future versions (hint hint).

>	at 10:30 filename
>
>When the job runs at 10:30, I get a mail message saying my "at" job
>produced the following message "TERM: Undefined variable."  GRASS is
>running when I submit the "at" job, but the operating system doesn't

hmm... what command? I just tried a quick test and didn't have
any problem:

> Mapset <mccauley> in Location <spearfish>
> GRASS 4.1 > at 1431
> at> g.list rast
> at> <EOT>
> warning: commands will be executed using /usr/unsup/bin/tcsh
> job 781126260.a at Sun Oct  2 14:31:00 1994
>
> Mapset <mccauley> in Location <spearfish>
> GRASS 4.1 > mailx
> mailx version 5.0 Mon Sep 27 07:25:51 PDT 1993  Type ? for help.
> "/var/mail/mccauley": 1 message 1 new
> >N  1 James Darrell McCa Sun Oct  2 14:31   27/1083  Output from "at" job

[...]

> Your "at" job "/var/spool/cron/atjobs/781126260.a" produced the following output:

> raster files available in mapset PERMANENT:
> aspect        geology       rushmore    soils.ph     transport.misc
> bugsites      landuse       slope       soils.range  trn.sites

don't know that it would make a difference, but
did you exit grass before the command was executed.

--Darrell