d.mon eats display monitors

cmw at sys2.cs.jmu.edu cmw at sys2.cs.jmu.edu
Sun Oct 2 16:46:16 EDT 1994

if you forget to d.mon stop=x1 before exiting GRASS, you can't
use display x1 again... even if in subsequent sessions you do
a d.mon stop=x1.  Killing dangling processes doesn't help.
We're under Solaris 2.3 (Sunos 5.3) using GRASS 4.1.2 from the
CD on a Sun SPARCstation 10.

Problem two is that we can only get GRASS to work for the user
who is the owner of the LOCATION and MAPSET directories and
all data files... regardless of how loosely we set the access
rights to these objects, it seems you have to be the owner.

Many thanks for any help.