Grass&Solaris:Solution????

Chris Damour ftgordon!damour at uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 5 08:14:33 EDT 1994

>From: "Marilyn Ruiz" <cerl!thales.geog.ufl.edu!ruiz>
>Subject: Re: Grass&Solaris:Solution????
>  (Stuff deleted)
>I have solaris 2.3 and a Sparc20, and when I ordered it, I wasn't
>aware that the cc compiler wasn't included.  Since GRASS is the
>main reason I need a compiler, at all, cc has worked fine.  Without
>cc, I was faced with the decision of either getting gcc running or
>purchasing something, which was not in the budget this year, or
>using the binaries.
>I chose what I thought was the most straight forward route - binaries.
>Unfortunately, the solaris 2.x binaries from the moon did NOT work.
>The problems with interactive commands and stderr have not solved
>to my knowledge.
>I've also had some hesitancy (unfounded?) about using gcc to compile
>GRASS on this machine.  For me, the problem is not with the documentation
>for GRASS compilation, etc.  I could use some reassurance that GRASS
>compiles as smoothly under one compiler as another.  And I see the
>potential problems with installing gcc as more daunting than GRASS.

     Speaking as a dumb biologist who knows just enough about these silicon
beasts to be REALLY dangerous, I absolutely understand what Marilyn is talking
about.  I have been lucky in that the setup we have (SUN IPX, Solaris 1.1) is
well supported by most of the packages and compilations are reasonably
straightforward.
     As a result of this, I can just untar the gcc sources and follow the
directions supplied with the code and it worked (mostly).  As well as I can
remember when I first compiled GRASS it also went smoothly, more or less.

>I think overall, it's the issues peripheral to GRASS - Xwindows,
>compilers, graphics cards, operating systems - that have given
>me the most trouble, not GRASS, itself.
>
>Marilyn Ruiz
>ruiz at thales.geog.ufl.edu

     From all of the other posts, this does seem to be true.  Again, I have been
very lucky and it has pretty much been "plug and play" for me so far.  (To use
the vernacular!  I've been watching "Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang" with my daughter
WAY TOO OFTEN!)  That's about all for now.  Y'all have fun!
Chris
damour%ftgordon.uucp at cerl.cecer.army.mil
damour at osiris.cso.uiuc.edu     |  Christopher D. Damour