Vector to Ascii output

John Mackenzie john at moose.ags.udel.edu
Tue Oct 11 10:19:54 EDT 1994

Hi Joe,

This format is pretty close to the BNA ascii format used by
AtlasGIS.  That format doesn't include the internal point
(not sure why it's really needed, since the polygon topology is
already built by the closure), but has the structure (for a
polygon):

name, [name2, name3,] nverts
x1, y1
x2, y2
x1, y1

The sign and magnitude of nverts indicates whether the feature is a line
(nverts < -1), polygon (nverts > 2; last vertex must equal first),
point (nverts = 1) or circle (nverts = 2; vertices are center
and one point on perimeter).

The v.in.atlas/v.out.atlas contributed modules are available in
the /incoming directory on the moon.  We've used v.in.atlas to import
to GRASS, haven't actually tried v.out.atlas.  Anyway, you may want
to give this a try, maybe just sticking in the internal vertex in the first
line of each feature (which you can extract from GRASS dig_att file)
or else importing them unlabeled (?) and tagging them in whatever
GIS you're importing to.  Not the most elegant solution, but should work.

John Mackenzie
U. of Delaware