GRASS4.1 problem

Bart Cosyn bcosyn at olympus.crs4.it
Wed Oct 19 05:17:28 EDT 1994

Hi,  Daryoush

> I am trying to use GRASS4.1 and need help!: I loaded the binaries from the ftp
> site and followed all the instructions and when I bring up the xgrass4.1 can't
> go any further.  It can't find the spearfish database and when I specify the
> full path to the database, it tell me that it exists but it is not in the
> database list and I can't write to it! I have checked all file permissions and
> they are okay.  Does anyone know where the database list is?

If I am not wrong you can only write to a mapset where you are the owner
so even permissions don't handle the files. You can read them but you
can not write to it!

> the contents of .grassrc is:
> GISDBASE: /disk5/GRASS4.1/DATA/spearfish
> MAPSET: daryoush
> LOCATION_NAME: test
Why is GISDBASE different from first data. I think you have to do it as
follows:
GISDBASE: /disk5/GRASS4.1/DATA
MAPSET:/disk5/GRASS4.1/DATA/spearfish
LOCATION_NAME:test

You can use then the other locations but everything will be written in test!

> I am running grass4.1 on an SGI INDY running IRIX5.2.  I do realize that
> grass4.1 is compiled under IRIX 4.0.5, but just using the binaries shouldn't
> be a problem.  Also does anybody know of a version compiled under IRIX 5.2 or
> what the plan's are on later releases?

I compiled it on IRIX 5.2 (Indigo2) and it works very fine! Just you have
to change
some small things in thge settings and the flags and some programs need
adaption in the source. Do not follow exactly the installation guide
concerning the FLAGS and also he has problems when you compile with the
manual pages. But I skipped it because the ref manual is better than a
manual page! If you want I can repost the mail Bill Brown mailed me a few
weeks ago! I followed it and it worked!

				Ciao, Bart

        Ir. Bart Cosyn
        EC- Environment project