Autocad file labelling

David Gerdes dpgerdes at europa.ftc.scs.ag.gov
Wed Oct 19 11:34:56 EDT 1994

In article <Pine.3.89.9410181657.A13275-0100000 at s50> you wrote:
: Hi
:    We are trying to label autocad contour lines using the procedure
: v.cadlabel. But we are getting the following errors :

Basically it looks like you have a pretty messy contour map.
As for 'Node #216: 3 lines intersect here', it won't deal with
nodes that have more than 2 lines coming into them.  Maybe that should
be a bug.  When I wrote it, I never considered there could be such a
case in a contour map, but I guess there could.  I have seen contour
generators create such nasties.

'Label 900 ran into label 905, Line -281'  This means that it had
trouble someplace determining which line to attach a given label to,
and so now there is a conflict trying to label a line with a different
value.  The negative on the line number can be ignored.

' FAILED to find node for Tline 68'  This rather cryptic message simply
means that it had a text label that, with its fairly simple search
criteria, it could not find two lines (one on either end) to attach
it to.  Line 68 is an attributed line which defines the bounding area of a
text label from the original file.  The attribute on that line is the
integer value of the original text label.

You can find the specified lines and nodes by going into the Debug
menu in v.digit or xdigit.  I think the Debug menu is accessed by the
'-' minus key from the Global menu in v.digit.

v.cadlabel is by no means the end all to labeling contours.  It is a
first pass to hopefully bring in maybe 90% of the labels, thus saving
you considerable work. But it is your responsibility to then verify
the correctness of map, and to take over where it didn't work correctly.

:
:    Contours:

: Attaching Labels to contour map:
: Label 900 ran into label 905, Line 264
: Label 900 ran into label 905, Line -281
: FAILED to find node for Tline 12
: FAILED to find node for Tline 32
: Label 875 ran into label 885, Line 16
: Node #216: 3 lines intersect here
: Node #216: 3 lines intersect here
: Node #260: 4 lines intersect here
: Node #209: 4 lines intersect here
: Node #209: 4 lines intersect here
: Node #300: 4 lines intersect here
: Node #300: 4 lines intersect here
: Label 905 ran into label 900, Line -489
: Label 905 ran into label 900, Line -489
: FAILED to find node for Tline 68
: Label 900 ran into label 905, Line 189
: Label 900 ran into label 905, Line 189
: Label 890 ran into label 895, Line 108
: Label 890 ran into label 895, Line 108
: Label 895 ran into label 890, Line 109
: Label 895 ran into label 890, Line 109
: Label 905 ran into label 910, Line -516
: Label 905 ran into label 910, Line -516
: Label 910 ran into label 905, Line 89
: Label 910 ran into label 905, Line 89

: We don't know what are all these errors.
    See above

: What does it mean by negative line number.
    Just take the absolute value

: How do we locate so and so node in the map.
    v.digit Debug menu

: Do we need to edit the map to eliminate these errors.
    YES

: If so can we do it in the GRASS or do we need to go to Autocad
    I would recommend doing it in v.digit.  You have to finish that
    which v.cadlabel can't do itself.

: Could someone please clarify the doubts.
    Hope this helped.

: Thanks, Barnes
:

--
  David Gerdes
  US Army Construction Engineering Research Lab
  dpgerdes at zorro.cecer.army.mil

     Currently at:

      USDA Soil Conservation Service/TISD
      2625 Redwing Rd, Suite 110