Projection changes

Gerald I. Evenden gie at charon.er.usgs.gov
Mon Oct 24 23:48:38 EDT 1994

>Date: Mon, 24 Oct 1994 16:49:04 -0500
>From: Jeff Rogers <rogers at vinny.cecer.army.mil>
>To: grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil
>Subject: Re: Projection changes
>
>REGARDING THE MESSAGE SENT OUT BY EVENDEN...
>----- End Included Message -----
>
>PLEASE DON'T USE THE GRASSU_LIST FOR INSULTS, HUMOR THAT IS
>POOR TASTE, OR THE DISPLAY OF EAST COAST MANNERS.
>
>MR VOIGT POSED A LEGITIMATE QUESTION AND SHOULD RECEIVE A
>SERIOUS ANSWER.
>
>LET'S ENCOURAGE ALL MEMBERS OF THE GRASS
>COMMUNITY AND AVOID UNDESERVED, SNOTTY PUTDOWNS.

You needn't yell.

First of all, the the original message caused a *VERY* serious
problem because of misuse of terminology.  I felt and continue to
feel that inappropriate use of the term UTM should be corrected.
Again, there is no such animal as "hybrid UTM" and no reader of
this group should get the idea that there is.

Obviously, the humor skyrocketed over some heads.  So be it.

But the criticism of terminology was required, and done so in a
manner that would attract attention.  Whatever method of prose used
was going to get counter-flamed, so I wore my asbestos BVDs.

I have twice indicated to Mr. Voight technical aspects of the
solution as far as cartographic projections is concerned, but I
cannot help with GRASS software per se.  In addition, such assistance
was not appropriate to include with the first message because it
would delute the comment on terminology, which was the primary issue
in my response.

Gerald (Jerry) I. Evenden   Internet: gie at charon.er.usgs.gov
voice: (508)563-6766          Postal: P.O. Box 1027
  fax: (508)457-2310                  N.Falmouth, MA 02556-1027