r.proj

Michael Hill mhill at chiswick.anprod.CSIRO.AU
Tue Sep 13 20:02:53 EDT 1994

Hi,

I have recently returned to attempting to get r.proj to work on my system
(Sun Sparc 2, 4.1.3, OPENWINDOWS3, cc and gcc). And I have reached the same
spot that I was in about 9 months ago. After tinkering a little, I have
r.proj.c looking in the right place to find PROJ. BUT. After compiling OK
etc, when I run it in Grass4.1 I get the following:

GRASS 4.1 > !5
r.proj input=ecoregion output=ecoregmerc inproj=ll outproj=tmerc
inelip=clark66 outelip=clark66 out_lat=0.00000 out_lon=-115.00000
sh: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected
sh: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected

 *** ERROR 2 *** unable to read Temporary output file
/data3/grassdata/alberta/PERMANENT/.tmp/HAL/1188.2
Mapset <PERMANENT> in Location <alberta>
GRASS 4.1 >

Now I realise that r.proj does not enable all the necessary switches in
PROJ at present, but that is beside the point.
It seems that the program opens temporary files which it wants to read.
These are "some number.1 to n". However, on my Sun the first file opened
is "some number.0". The program seems to be looking for a file "same
number.n+1" which it can't find.

I am not a C programmer and don't understand the ins and outs of temporary
file management in such programs. I presume that the syntax error for "("
is a problem too.

Has anyone debugged r.proj, and can you suggest a fix.

Thanks in advance.

Michael J Hill
Senior Research Scientist
CSIRO Pastoral Research Laboratory, Armidale, NSW, Australia,2350.
E-Mail address: mhill at chiswick.anprod.csiro.au