m.dem.extract

Rod Anderson andersr at iia.org
Fri Sep 16 08:43:06 EDT 1994

> We are trying to bring in some USGS 7.5 minute dem data from
> tape.
>
> The original tapes were read elsewhere and ftped to
> our site because we do not have the necessary tape
> drive.

  [Stuff Deleted]

> Keith M. Mitchell
> University of Illinois
> Department of Ag. Engineering
> Urbana, IL 61801

I've messed with DEMs, though not through GRASS, and have found some
software is very sensitive to CR LF <=> NL (LF) conversions carried out
by some transfer methods  The most notorious is going through DOS (MS or
Novell).
  Since the definition for DEMs is pretty strict the extra characters
created could be the problem.  You might look at the USGS (?) documentation
for DEMs and figure out which way they want the file.  (I don't have a
copy at hand so can't look myself.)

Rod