Grass - Mapgen

Jill Schuler jschuler at ncg.scs.ag.gov
Fri Sep 16 13:08:16 EDT 1994

Steve Culshaw writes:

%%%I've 'gmake4.1' on just about every directory I can find. When I type
%%%'mapgen4.1' in the command prompt changes to
%%%>GRASS-MAPGEN and I can use the scripts such as 'make.line'. When I try
%%%the 'make.def' I get an error or can only create a 'map.def.par' file.
%%%
%%%I haven't tried to compile 'proj' - don't have gcc
%%%

You MUST compile 'proj' to run the GRASS-MAPGEN Interface.  The mapdef program
which the command 'make.mapdef' runs uses proj.  This is a KEY step in making
a map.

The map definition is the control for all other map making tools in the
GRASS-MAPGEN Interface toolkit.  This file defines the geographic area and
resulting map size.

The proj code should be on "moon" and is based on the proj release 4.2.2 (93/03/11/GIE Rel).  The 4.12 SCS release is stored in a file called mapgen.tar.Z under
/grass/grass4.1/updates directory.  The README file may incorrectly refer to
this as release 4.11.  The proj src should be under mapgen/proj.  There should
be Gmakefiles under the proj directory to facilitate your compile.  I strongly
recommend getting the gcc compiler.  I believe it is available on an ftp site.
Maybe a fellow "GRASSER" can provide the ftp info.

%%%Are there any manuals in electronic format available from any ftp site ?
%%%

Currently, there are NO manuals in electronic format available from SCS.  USGS
does have some documentation available on charon and other hardcopy guides.

BASIC MAP MAKING STEPS USING THE GRASS-MAPGEN INTERFACE

GRASS Commands
d.vect - a boundary vector layer showing the extent of the area to be mapped.
d.zoom - redefine your grass region as close to the area to be mapped.
g.region save=name - to save your newly created window

GRASS-MAPGEN Interface Commands
1.  mapgen4.1

2.  make.mapdef

3.  make.neatline  - to define data area and plot area

4.  make.line - to define the extent of the data area relative to the data
                window.
5.  show.sh - displays the overlays to the graphics monitor
    d.ovm - provides a list of overlays to display and erases the screen
    show.colorchrt - displays the  default pen colors
    create.colortb - creates a default colortable or user defined colortable

6.  verbose - to determine how big the map is related to paper size

EVALUATE THE DISPLAY TO DETERMINE IF SUITABLE SPACE IS AVAILABLE TO ADD
MAP SUPPORT INFORMATION (i.e., bar scale, source note, title, legend, etc.)

7.  make.text - add map text like title, source note, legend subtitle
    show.font - displays mapgen fonts
    show.char - displays font characters
    show.size - displays text in user defined size

8.  make.line - bring in additional map line layers
    make.symline - build symbols lines like railroads, pipeline, etc.

    show.line - shows the mapgen line patterns to the monitor

9.  make.label - bring in geographic data area labels

10. make.symbol - bring in geographic data area symbols

11. make.fill - build thematic interps: fill polygon areas with different
                patterns

12. make.grid - build a geographic grid

13. make.barscale - build a graphic barscale

14. make.arrow - build a north arrow indicator

15. plot.sh - to plot a hardcopy map

HELPFUL MAP MANAGEMENT COMMANDS

g.list maps
g.list geovect
g.list geosites

Note: you may need to edit the file $GISBASE/etc/element_list and add the
following

#######SCS additions ##########
gef:gef:SCS GEF:SCS GEF files
tiger:tiger:TIGER/CENSUS:TIGER/CENSUS files
dem:dem:USGS DEM:USGS DEM files
dlg:dlg:USGS DLG:USGS DLG files
sites_geo:geosites:sites_geo directory:MAPGEN SITES_GEO site files
dig_geo:geovect:dig_geo directory:MAPGEN DIG_GEO binary files
mapgen:maps:MAPGEN map:MAPGEN map directories

g.mapman - online mapgen manual

g.copy [maps,geovect,geosite]

rm.[layer] - removes a map feature
ren.[layer] - renames a map feature
cp.[layer] - copies a map feature

geo.to.ascii - converts a binary dig_geo file to ascii

trim.data - trims the map definition data window using the mouse

I hope this helps.

MAPJILL

#  # #### #  # #### ### ####   #     ####   Soil Conservation Service
#  #    # #  # #  #        #  #         #   National Cartography and
#  #    # #  # #  #       #  #         #    GIS Center
				            Ft. Worth, TX 76115
e-mail: jschuler at ncg.scs.ag.gov             Phone: (817) 334-5559 x3086