Stability of Solaris Release

James Darrell McCauley mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu
Wed Sep 28 11:47:53 EDT 1994

Evan Preston (preston at malibu.dst.battelle.org) writes on 28 Sep 94:
>Not only is the XDRIVER graphics device not refreshing itself, but the

is this the backing store deal? anyone recall when this was discussed?

(we really need a better way to search archives of grass[up] - the
current setup is kinda cumbersome)

>like SPARC 10, SPARC1+, etc.).  The slowness involves defining frames (d.frame),
>writing text (d.text), drawing raster files (d.rast), etc.

the solution here is to use the Message Queue patch that's
on moon. (The problem is that the SysV implementation of fifos
is different, "not as 'native'" as the BSD implementation.)

>If anyone can tell me whether the GRASS release under Solaris is stable or not,

Yes, it is stable. We run a medium-sized (80 workstations),
completely-Solaris GRASS shop, and everything runs fine (with the Message
Queue patch).

--Darrell

P.S. Evan: admittedly, I was pretty skeptical of Solaris
before the Message Queue fix was proposed. Now, however,
it's a trouble-free installation.