import .NTF files

charnotw charnotw at helios.aston.ac.uk
Mon Aug 21 08:00:00 EDT 1995

> Hi netters
> Another problem came up since my previous e-mail
> I receive 2 discs from British Ordnance Survey containing digitised
> data in .NTF (National Transfer Format)
> Does anybody know how/if this format can be input to GRASS?
> Somebody told me to import this format to ARC-INFO and then export it
> to an ARC-INFO formatwhich can be read by GRASS.
> Is this (if true) very complicated? I have no idea about how ARC-INFO
> works.
>
> Giorgos
>
> Giorgos Zacharioudakis
> School of Earth Sciences
> University of Birmingham
> E-mail: ers4gxz2 at sun1.bham.ac.uk

The problem of ntf data crops up every now and then, there is no
standard way of getting it into GRASS.  Certainly you can go
via Arc-Info if you have access to it, or use some other package
to convert to .dxf and use v.in.dxf.  I have managed to put
raster ntf data into grass directly, which OS product do you
have.

To anyone puzzled by this: ntf stands for national transfer format,
a particular nasty format that we Britons have use when we pay
through the nose for data collected by our own mapping agency the
Ordnance Survey (bitter? me?).

Tom Charnock

Tom Charnock                       O--O
Dept Civil Engineering            (~~~~)
Aston University                 (  __  )
Birmingham B4 7ET UK             /|\  /|\
charnotw at sun.aston.ac.uk