Tutorial for GRASS

Casey Claiborne mskc at io.com
Thu Aug 17 08:00:00 EDT 1995

Hello,
        I have just installed GRASS on my Linux system; however, I do not
know how to use it (which is frustrating). I have downloaded the programmers
manual and the reference manual and have gone through them - a 300 page
listing of *all* of the commands that are available in GRASS does not
exactly show me how to use the product. I do not wish to spend a good
portion of the day trying to get a command to work only to find that other
commands must be called first to do some initialization processing.  I once
ran a shell program that displays the GRASS logo. I then tried to do a zoom
on a specific area. The program then told me to use the "d.erase" command to
get an updated image. The screen turned black and I, in no way shape or
form, did I receive an updated image. Evidently I am missing something -
however - I am at a loss as to what.
        Someone informed me of a XUsersGuide.ps on the net. I downloaded
this but it appears to be useful for something called "XGrass" (which I have
not been successful in finding). Where can this be located? If there is
*not* any sort of tutorial document, what other sources can I consult to
learn how to use Grass?

I only want to do the following.
        1) Bring up an image map that I have placed in the GRASS database
        2) Zoom in on a certain spot on the map.
        3 Save the zoomed image to a file.

I have had the GRASS product for a little over a week now; but , as I have
mentioned earlier, I am unable to use it.

If *anyone* knows of a useful tutorial or any other source that I can use, I
would appreciate any information on it.

Thanks in advance

Casey

One must note the importance of setting reasonable and achievable goals for
                    "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time"
                               -Theodore Roosevelt