Delineating Endoreic Basins

Baxter E. Vieux vieux at nouvelot.orstom.fr
Wed Aug 16 08:00:00 EDT 1995

Dear Grass Users--
We are delineating the watersheds of several endoreic basins. One
project is in the prairie pothole region of North Dakota and the
other is in the HAPEX Sahel region in Nigeria. Both present similar
problems in that the r.watershed routines sub-basins that do not
cover the entire watershed. We have achieved marginal results after
applying the following:
1. Use a blocking mask that is an inverse of the dem
2. Use a mask that is the outside region of the dem

Using these two parameters does cause the drainage network to
drain to the interior (pool area).

Has anyone had similar experiences or have any suggestions!
We intend to model the hydrology of these pools with tools
similar to r.water.fea. So every cell and its drainage direction
are important to the simulation.

Thanks--
Baxter Vieux
Environmental Modeling and GIS Laboratory
School of Civil Engineering and Environmental Science
University of Oklahoma....
temporarily at....
Eaux Continentales
ORSTOM