import .NTF files

charnotw charnotw at helios.aston.ac.uk
Tue Aug 22 14:45:18 EDT 1995

> Are you aware of any existing NTF to anything converters?  Maybe NTF
> to DLG?
>
> What are the particulars on obtaining a copy of the NTF spec?  (My WWW
> searches revealed more than I wanted to know about Neutron Therapy
> Facilities, the National Tidal Facility, and the National Tae-kwon-do
> Federation).  An address (physical or electronic), part number, and
> price would be useful.
>
> How useful would an NTF writer be?
>
> --
> Hal Mueller                             Mantech Environmental Rsrch Svcs Corp
> EPA, NHEERL-Western Ecology Division    Phone: (503) 754-4490
> 200 SW 35th Street                      FAX:   (503) 754-4818
> Corvallis, Oregon 97333-4901  USA       halm at mail.cor.epa.gov

I have heard rumours that Ordnance Survey are going
to drop NTF, I hope its true, but it could be wishfull
thinking. Otherwise I'll have to agree with Richard...

>All I can say is me too! Anyone out there who creates a
>NTF vector format to GRASS program will receive endless
>gratitude and undying respect......
>

>Richard

.....an NTF reader would be very useful, a godsend even,

In the back of my OS catelogue is a great long list of systems
suppliers who claim their systems will import NTF. Its quite
long but a few names look familiar eg

ESRI (UK)
Intergraph(UK)ltd
Moss Systems
Smallworld
Tydac

about 70 in all, and I guess most of these would be capable
of converting it into something sensible. I expect that you
have to buy the NTF reader as an add on (expensive) module.

People who need to use OS data, particularly vector data,
should be aware that it has some problems as it is currently
not sold as a GIS product, it is really for mapping (ie pictures)
hence there can be serious problems with connectivity, closed
polygons etc. At least they have recognised this and are making
plans to upgrade the data.

The address is
	Ordnance Survey
	Romsey Road
	Maybush
	Southampton
	SO9 4DH
	UK
	tel (UK) 01703 792773
        fax (UK) 01703 792324

no email as far as I know, I don't know who owns the NTF format
it might be public domain.

cheers Tom  8-)

Tom Charnock                       O--O
Dept Civil Engineering            (~~~~)
Aston University                 (  __  )
Birmingham B4 7ET UK             /|\  /|\
charnotw at sun.aston.ac.uk