tree cutting determination

Jocelyn Aycrigg aycrigg at gis.uiuc.edu
Thu Aug 31 13:22:21 EDT 1995

----- Begin Included Message -----

>From grass-lists-owner at max.cecer.army.mil Thu Aug 31 10:26:36 1995
From: Carla Elenz <elenz at osiris.cso.uiuc.edu>
Subject: tree cutting determination
Sender: grass-lists-owner at max.cecer.army.mil
Sender: grass-lists-owner at moon.cecer.army.mil.
To: grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 08:34:40 -0500 (CDT)

Hello,

I have a problem I would like to work on in Grass, and
wonder if anyone else has done something like this
and can tell me how to go about it, especially someone
in military circles.

We need to cut some trees to get a clear shot from
firing points to targets on a new range.  We would like
to leave as many trees as possible and only cut those
"in the way".  Is it possible to take into consideration
the height of the trees and the elevation from which they
grow to see which will "interfere" with the line of sight
between target and firing point?

Appreciate any assistance.

Carla Elenz
Camp Grayling, MI
elenz at osiris.cos.uiuc.edu
517-348-7621 ext 3306

----- End Included Message -----

Carla,

You may want to try the r.los command.  It sounds like it may work in your situation.

Good luck,

Jocelyn L. Aycrigg
Department of Geography
220 Davenport Hall