Printers and plotters

David Mandel dmandel at transport.com
Fri Dec 15 07:00:00 EST 1995

On Thu, 14 Dec 1995, Paul Loechl wrote:

> > We have an HP650C, which I think is a really fine machine.

I fully agree.  I've been using HP650Cs with the PostScript option,
but I rarely plot postscript files on it.  Instead I find it faster
to use Image Alchemy to translate the postscript to rtl for the plotter.
Image Alchemy is slow, but much faster than processing postscript on
the plotter.  At least this is true for large files.  Many of my eps
files are 15-20 mb, and we occassionally get eps files well over 100+mb.

These large files create a few minor problems.  One often wants to use:
            lpr -s
to keep from duplicating large files.

Also, with Image Alchemy (and other software using temp files) we often
set:
            export TMPDIR=/somewhere_with_lots_of_space
in order to keep from overflowing /tmp.

                                              Dave Mandel

 David Mandel, Linux Activist             dmandel at transport.com
 Internet Provided by:   Transport Logic         (503) 243-1940
               Serving the Pacific Northwestern USA
 Portland  *  Vancouver  *  McMinnville   *   Salem    *   Bend