:-(

A.W. Bingham awb1001 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Wed Feb 8 13:43:06 EST 1995

Yipppeee, Ive been looking all over for this user group!

Here in the UK there doesn't seem to be much support for GRASS users, so perhaps
someone from afar could help me?

I have a simple raster file (tm.3) with categories 4-255 which I want to display
as a grey-scale image.  If I use:
	r.colors map=tm.3 color=grey
followed by d.rast, the resulting image only appears to have about 8 grey scales.
If I try instead d.colors I get a warning message:
	Note, [tm.3] has more colors than the graphics device, continue(y/n)
- by the way Im running this on an 8-bit colour screen -if I continue, there is
no improvement.

Now - if I rescale the file to between 1-220, and run either r.colors or d.colors
on the rescaled file, the displayed image contains all the greyscales between
1-220 (although appearing rather dark because the greyscales 221-255 have been
lost). I should also say that when I rescale to say between 1-225 and try to
display the raster file I get the error messages:
	read_color: can't set color 256
		"	"
		"	"
	read_color: can't set color 260

Effectively what Im saying is for raster files with categories less than 220 I
can display OK (although I cant contrast strech) and for when categories extend
into the range 221-255 I run into problems.

Is this a known fault? Does anyone know why this might be happening?

yours missing my lighter shades of grey -
Andy Bingham