repost:contributed code - copyright: clarification needed

GRASS 4.0 grass at holstein.age.uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 8 15:25:06 EST 1995

I never saw this come back through, so I am reposting it.
My apologies if it was already received.
Sender: grass-lists-owner at moon.cecer.army.mil.
To: grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil
Subject: contributed code - copyright: clarification needed

Forgive the intrusion of a scientific newby but,
I get the feeling that one person is talking about
"contributed code" (src contrib)- while another speaks
of "alpha programs" (src alpha).  As I am just now preparing to
submit my first publication and maybe others need
clarification too... how would one cite a GRASS program.  I
cited GRASS and the paper behind some of the theory
used.  However, I did NOT as of yet include direct
references to the spline papers...(I used s.surf.tps
to interpolate our DEM).  I thought that
citing GRASS and quoting the program used was enough for
the purposes of an article.  I can understand wanting
more direct credit for contributed code, but what about
the main and alpha programs?

Keith M. Mitchell
Dept. Of Ag Engineeering
University of Illinois

> Although the specific comments that initiated the citation dialog
> on the list may have been in error, the issue showed itself as important
> to a significant number of GRASS users.  A number of good suggestions
> were made to enhance the convenience and accuracy of providing citations
> in the future.  The suggestions have been noted and will serve to improve
> overall GRASS community operation.  Thanks to all who offered ideas.
>
> Nancy Taaffe   USACERL
>

|Just a short supporting comment for Bill: at least in archaeology it's
|good and common practice to say what kind of software you have been using
|for your work. This should not always have to be in the form of a
|quotation (you wouldn't want everyone to read the GRASS manuals, for
|instance), but in the case of contributed code it seems no more than
|reasonable to name the authors, either by quotation or by acknowledgement.
|
|Philip Verhagen
|--