program for filling in extra points on vectors - complement of v.prune

Simon Cox s.cox at dem.csiro.au
Thu Feb 9 23:38:41 EST 1995

After my questions yesterday I realised that I could do it myself using the
dig_ascii format.  I am putting a script

v.plant

into incoming on the moon.  This is an interactive script which takes an
existing vector (dig) map and fills in extra points on long arcs according
to a specified threshold.  I have only tested it on files with lines (not
area edges) so I will be grateful for feedback on other types.  If someone
has a better suggestion for a name, then that will be good too - it is a
sort-of pun on v.prune which does the opposite (I first thought of calling
it v.plum!)

If you like it, make it executable and put it in your grass/scripts directory.

Programmers note:  I wrote it as a Bourne shell-script, with the main work
done by awk (nawk, actually), which saved having to fiddle with Dave Gerdes
c-code in v.prune which I had a quick look at, before fleeing.   I have
tried to document it clearly.

Enjoy!

Dr Simon Cox                          __  \
CSIRO Exploration & Mining         ,~'  L_|\    Australian
39 Fairway, PO Box 437,         ;-'         \   Geodynamics
Nedlands, WA  6009  Australia   (            \  Cooperative
      Phone +61 9 389 8421      +    ___     /  Research
      Fax   +61 9 389 1906       L~~'   "\__/   Centre
s.cox at dem.csiro.au                         7