solution to patching vector files

Wayne Gibson oregon at chaos.ATS.ORST.EDU
Fri Feb 10 12:19:52 EST 1995

Thanks to all who responded to the v.patch question (included at the end)

For those interested here is the solution (as supplied by Susan Huse).

Apparently there was nothing wrong with the attributes or categories.
v.support could not handle the duplicate lines and treated the perimeter of the
patched areas as the new area.  Interior lines were then assigned as open
areas.  The fix is to run v.patch followed by v.spag with the "-i" flag (for
duplicate line removal).

Once again, thanks to all who offered suggestions.

Wayne Gibson
Oregon State University

> Date: Tue, 7 Feb 95 16:33:16 -0800
> From: Wayne Gibson <oregon at chaos.ATS.ORST.EDU>
> Sender: grass-lists-owner at max.cecer.army.mil
> To: grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil
> Subject:  v.patch
>

> Dear Grass Users,
>

> A correction to the earlier email (syntax error on v.patch)
>

> Is there a method of patching together multiple vector files into one and
still retain the attributes found within each file?  (My intent is to have one
vector file with all the state boundaries, and if I run d.what.vect on that
file, I point, click, and get the state name for each point and click.)

> Here is what has been tried already...
>

> With multiple vector files, one file per state boundary,I run v.patch with a
command like the following :

> v.patch input=or.bnd,ca.bnd,wa.bnd,id.bnd output=west.bnd
>

> Then v.support with :
>

> v.support map=west.bnd
>

> What I get are all the lines but the area becomes the perimeter of all the
states specified in the v.patch command.  v.digit shows the lines bordering the
states become open area lines.  Am I resolved to manually correcting the file
with v.digit?