Asci vect files from GPS

Ronald Thomas ront at niwot.CNR.ColoState.EDU
Mon Feb 13 10:29:18 EST 1995

In article <9502102031.AA23731 at grayling.noname> you write:
>Just an addition to Louis Clarke's  note regarding importing
>ascii vector files from TRimble GPS into GRASS.  I have found
>that trimble exports the coordinates as easting  northing
>whereas grass expects it's ascii files to be northing  easting.
>Also, if your base station runs on a dos PC as ours does, the
>file is in DOS text.  I run the *.vec file from Trimble through
>dos2unix and an awk script to reverse the coordinates before
>running v.in.ascii.

Both the problems recently mentioned in converting TRIMBLE GPS data to
GRASS GIS ascii import data via Trimble's PFINDER software:

	(1) selecting GRASS vector output and getting GRASS SITES output;
	(2) reversed easting/northing coordinates

have been fixed in upgrades to the software.  Problem #1 was fixed over 18
months ago, and problem #2 was fixed within the last year.

We, too, had these problems, until we finally came up with the money to be
in the upgrade 'loop'.  No, TRIMBLE does not supply upgrades/fixes for
free. The software you buy from them is supportted for one year; after
that, you must buy a maintenance contract to receive upgrades/fixes/etc.

Good stuff, the PFINDER software, now that it is fixed.

Ronald Thomas                                Email: ron_thomas at nps.gov
 Natural Resource Spec. (GIS)         ^^^    Phone: 303-586-1292
  Resources Management Division  ^^  ^^^^^   FAX: 303-586-1310
   Rocky Mountain National Park ^^^ ^^^^^^^  Estes Park, CO  80517