HP650c

Malcolm Williamson malcolm at cast.uark.edu
Fri Jul 7 08:00:00 EDT 1995

Ok, I'll try to avoid putting my foot in my mouth this time around. I
have obviously overlooked the setcolor command in ps.map, and I can't
comment on its functionality since I've never tried it. However, changing
raster values for a map in ps.map is quite easy; you've got to alter the
actual GRASS colortable for that raster layer. To do this, use either
d.colors or r.colors, or you may manually edit the appropriate file (if
the raster layer is in _your_ mapset, then the file would be
$LOCATION/colr/raster_layer_name; if it is in someone else's mapset, the
file would be $LOCATION/colr2/other_mapset_name/raster_layer_name. The
colr2 directory allows you to have custom colortables for raster layers
in other mapsets, without affecting the original.). I recommend
copying the original colortable to a temporary filename, in case you want
to revert to it. Because GRASS uses 24-bit color information, ps.map can
actually print in TrueColor on an output device that supports it (like a
dye-sublimation printer - we use an Apunix 24-bit printer, as well as an
HP650c and a RasterGraphics 424CX color electrostatic plotter). Although
the HP650c has to resort to dithering, it too can print much more than
256 discernible colors.

We wrote a shell script to create a color "palette" in GRASS that has 729
(9^3) colored boxes for a color reference plot; this is handy when
choosing color values in GRASS for a particular printer. I would have to
dig some, but I could probably find the files if you or anyone else
would like them.

Lastly, the colortable command within ps.map is essentially a raster
"legend" command; it simply prints a legend based on the colors in the
raster layer. It will be affected by whatever changes you make to the
GRASS colortable for that raster layer.

Hope this helps. Regards,
        -Malcolm Williamson