mapset permissions?

Olga Waupotitsch olga at zorro.cecer.army.mil
Thu Mar 9 17:08:18 EST 1995

?ecn?purdue?edu}@bnr.ca>
Originator: daemon at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu (James Darrell McCauley) writes:

>Bingo! "umask(0);" on line 70. I remove this line and my shell's
>umask was obeyed.

Here is what Michael says to this:

GRASS creates all files with 0666 and all directories in a mapset with
0777.  It wants to make sure that all files in a mapset are public
readable and all directories are piblic read/searchable.  (Perhaps a
umask of 022 might be ok - removing write for group/other.  But look at
G_tempfile() - the Panel_Save in the graphics needs a publicly
writeable tempfile.)

Access to the maspset and to all its files and directories
is controlled by g.access which changes permission on the mapset
itlsef so that group/other can/can't see into the mapset (by removing
tjhe r and x permissions).

If we make changes to this we risk breaking what works.
We have to make sure that anybody can read all files in any mapset
as long as the permission on the mapset itself allow users to
see the files (these permisison are under user control with g.access).

Michael (ext 277)

I just wanted to post this warning for Michael for those
who want to get rid of umask(0)
lga