mapset permissions?

James Darrell McCauley mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu
Thu Mar 9 18:43:04 EST 1995

Olga Waupotitsch (olga at zorro.cecer.army.mil) writes on  9 March 1995:
>mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu (James Darrell McCauley) writes:
>
>>Bingo! "umask(0);" on line 70. I remove this line and my shell's
>>umask was obeyed.
>
>Here is what Michael says to this:
>
>GRASS creates all files with 0666 and all directories in a mapset with
>0777.  It wants to make sure that all files in a mapset are public
>readable and all directories are piblic read/searchable.  (Perhaps a

why? I can think of no technical reasons for why this *has* to be
this way. If I have a umask set a certain way, I expect all software
to obey it (under normal circumstances, unless we're talking about
the infamous locks directory or cases where sticky bits are involved)

>umask of 022 might be ok - removing write for group/other.  But look at
>G_tempfile() - the Panel_Save in the graphics needs a publicly
>writeable tempfile.)

I don't know what this is about. I grep'ed for Panel_Save in
all of src/{display,libes,raster} and couldn't find it.

>Access to the maspset and to all its files and directories
>is controlled by g.access which changes permission on the mapset
>itlsef so that group/other can/can't see into the mapset (by removing
>tjhe r and x permissions).

sure - I can use 'chmod' after-the-fact, but I shouldn't have to.

>If we make changes to this we risk breaking what works.

I'd be willing to make all changes so that it does work.
Can anyone tell me where this Panel_Save thing is? Any other
things that might break?

--
James Darrell McCauley, PhD        http://soils.ecn.purdue.edu/~mccauley/
Dept of Agricultural Engineering   mccauley at ecn.purdue.edu
Purdue University            new-> tel: 317.494.1198 fax: 317.496.1115