r.contour problems

Julie Marie Olson julieo at robinhood.ssmc.noaa.gov
Fri May 19 12:31:18 EDT 1995

My group is working with precipitation frequency data. We plot station data
than hand analyze it drawing isolines (for example, 2-year 24-hour
precipitation frequencies) then digitize the isolines into grass using xdigit.
We then create a raster file using r.surf.contour. Then we take
the map and use r.mapcalc to create other raster maps and r.contour to make
vector maps for plotting.
Our problem is with r.contour. As a test we digitized in a map, created a
raster map, then used r.contour to create the vectors. R.contour worked just
fine except it cut off all of the peaks. If the highest line we digitized
in an area was 1.40 inches, the highest contour we get is 1.30 inches (we
used r.contour to make contours at 0.10 inch intervals). What we think is
interesting is that it did not do this same thing in the valleys, they are
o.k. Has anyone else had this problem, and do you know if it's a bug, or just
a limitationt's a bug, or just
a limitation in the algorithm? The way we can get around the problem is to
label all the peaks a little higher (for example a peak of1.40 inches to
1.41 inches but thats a lot of work we'd rather not do), does anyone have any
other suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Julie