v.in.dxf

Cosyn Bart Bart.Cosyn at rug.ac.be
Mon Oct 9 06:25:50 EDT 1995

On Mon, 9 Oct 1995, Joe Leone wrote:

> Hi
> I am trying to import a dxf file into grass.  The file comes from intergraph which had topology built and all the areas labeled. When I imported the file it came in nice and clean as lines, but no attributes.
> The manual for v.in.dxf states " The v.in.dxf program will only recognise points, lines, polylines, and text in the DXF format......."
> Does this mean the v.in.dxf process not understand areas with attributes?
> Does the DXF format understand labeled areas?
Hi Joe,

>From time to time I also try to export files from Microstation
(Intergrapgh platf) to Grass. My experience is the same as yours. I am
indeed afraid that you will need to do the labeling of the vectors by
hand using v.digit or by adapting the vectorfiles using the ascii version
of the vector. It seems that the dxf format only understands different
layers. My different layers are imported as different files an that is
the only sort of "labeling" I recognised until now. In fact I had the
same experience using dxf files from AutoCad. The problem of the
declaration of a polygon (in a dxf) as an area in Grass is as far as I
can see also not possible. In a way I hope someone can overrule these
remarks. So if you should receive further info about this please let me know!

			Bart

	| ir. Bart Cosyn				  |
	| VLIR-project Tunisia				  |
	| Laboratory for Hydrology and Water Management	  |
	| University of Gent 			 	  |
	| Coupure 653, B-9000 Gent			  |
        | Belgium 					  |
	| Tel: +/32/9/2646137				  |