Grass Mapset permission-check

Eric Buddington eric at detritus.ees.wesleyan.edu
Thu Sep 14 08:00:00 EDT 1995

>#1/1
approved: Usenet at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
references: <199509130938.AA03562 at sco4t.erl.kwu.siemens.de>
content-type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
organization: University of Illinois at Urbana
mime-version: 1.0
reply-to: ebuddington at wesleyan.edu
newsgroups: info.grass.user
originator: daemon at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

Running GRASS 4.1.5 on an SGI Indy, IRIX 5.3.

Problem: g.access would change permissions appropriately, but access was
still denied to other users upon login.

I looked in the source code for libgis, and found that the check for
access (in file mapset_msc.c, line 91) looks at the *ownership* of the file,
rather than whether the current user can read (or perhaps write) to it.
I'd think this would prevent shared access to a mapset under any
circumstances.

Does anyone know why it would check the ownership of the directory rather
than the permissions?

-Eric