Comments on GRASS-CD

Andreas Holz Andreas.Holz at oi32.kwu.siemens.de
Thu Sep 7 07:22:09 EDT 1995

Dear GRASS-users and programmers,

	in the following some informations for the users of
	the CD "Grass 4.1.5 for Linux".

	1) XGRASS destroyes /dev/tty if executed as root.

	   XGRASS, e.g. XGMAPCALC is deleting /dev/tty on exit. You
	   won't be able to open new xterms nor to login.

	   DON`T RUN XGRASS OR XGRASS PROGRAMS AS USER ROOT !!!!!!!!

	   If you are missing /dev/tty, please re-create it via
	   MAKEDEV general in /dev.

	   If You are not able to login anymore, You have to boot
	   from the installation boot-disk, to mount the harddisks
	   root-partition and to re-create /dev/tty (on harddisk)
	   manually. How to create /dev/tty You can see in
	   the MAKEDEV script in /dev/MAKEDEV.

	2) I'm very sorry, there are missing soft links from the
           grass4.1.5/etc directory on CD to the harddisk.

	   There is a directory /usr/local/grass4.1/etc_linked on
	   harddisk. There should be links from CD to this directory to
	   be able to edir the GIS.sh, XGIS.sh or to modify or add
	   digititer or printer drivers.

	  This is not possible in the current layout. Please link
	  each file in the CD's grass4.1.5/etc directory to
	  /usr/local/grass4.1/etc, excepting the files You want to modify,
          which should reside on harddisk, or wait for a new
          grassinstall or grassupdate script, which I'll release soon.

Greetings

	Andreas