Can I connect the dots ???

charnotw charnotw at helios.aston.ac.uk
Wed Sep 13 13:23:48 EDT 1995

> I am using grass4.1
>
> I have several points derived from a gps unit that I would
> like to convert into vector files, with the sites interconnected
> by arcs or lines.
>
> Is there a command that will do this or do I have to do this
> manually using digit ?
>
> Thanks for the help, in advance
>
> Bonnie

The easiest way I can think off would be to manually construct a
ascii vector file, put this into dig_ascii directory in your mapset
and run v.in.ascii.  You can find the format for a ascii vector
file in the programming manual basically it looks like this:

8<-----------------------------------------------------------
ORGANIZATION: Aston Uni UK
DIGIT DATE:
DIGIT NAME:
MAP NAME:
MAP DATE:
MAP SCALE:    50000
OTHER INFO:
ZONE:         0
WEST EDGE:    355000
EAST EDGE:    370000
SOUTH EDGE:   320000
NORTH EDGE:   333000
MAP THRESH:   38.1
VERTI:
L  6
 332941.1359081 361975.26726477
 332875.44181619 362008.11431072
 332809.74772429 362172.34954048
 332793.32420131 362451.54943107
 332776.90067834 362566.5140919
 332744.05363239 362681.47875274
L  3
 332941.1359081 365112.16015317
 332826.17124726 365030.04253829
 332744.05363239 364997.19549234   etc etc
The L means a line (or A for area) and the number is the number of
coordinate pairs following.  You may be able to write a script that
will convert your data to this automatically.

cheers  Tom

Tom Charnock                       O--O
Dept Civil Engineering            (~~~~)
Aston University                 (  __  )
Birmingham B4 7ET UK             /|\  /|\
charnotw at sun.aston.ac.uk