Image Alchemy Conversions

Tom Hawkins hawkins at water.ca.gov
Tue Apr 23 08:00:00 EDT 1996

We use GRASS with our land use program, and routinely create maps of land
use by county, from the data we develop.  We use ps.map to create postscript
files for plotting on our HP650C plotter.  We have the PS interpreter, and
have 20 MB of memory.  Often, we will create a postscript file larger than
20 MB and can't plot it.  Usually, we recreate the file using a region with
a coarser resolution, resulting in a smaller file, but the plot is also
coarser.

I have just had Image Alchemy take one of our postscript files, created from
GRASS, and convert it to an RTL file.  The raster part of the RTL plot has
vastly different colors, and the vectors, legend, and text did not plot at
all.

Does anyone have the Image Alchemy software and use it to create RTL files
from GRASS' ps.map for plotting on the HP650C?  Is it possible to get the
software to create an RTL file that plots out identical to the original
plotted postscript?  If so, is it relatively easy to use?  I'm trying to
make up my mind whether to purchase it, or buy more memory.

Thanks

Tom

Thomas E. Hawkins
California Department of Water Resources
1416 9th Street
Resources Building, Room 150
Sacramento CA  95814
hawkins at water.ca.gov   (916) 653-5573   Fax (916) 657-4796