Linux based GIS Software - Thank you note.

David Mandel dmandel at transport.com
Wed Apr 17 08:00:00 EDT 1996

On Wed, 10 Apr 1996, Schmidt wrote:

> You asked a while back about GIS programs in Linux. I've been using Dan
> Haskell's port of LTPLUS for Linux for several years for doing raster to
> vector conversions, digitizing, and file conversion. I don't know if Dan is
> still in the business of selling it, but the cost was about $100.

Jim and others,

    Thanks to everyone who replied to my query about Linux based GIS
software.  I was introduced to several products such as:
            GMT         See http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/wessel/gmt.html
      and
            THEMAK2     See Christian Kirsch <ck at gras.de>
and to several neat web sites.  All GRASS users should visit:
            GRASSLinks  See (http://www.regis.berkley.edu.80/grasslinks)
      and
            Perseus Atlas at http://perseus.holycross.edu/PAP/Atlas_project.htm
I was reminded of a few old friends like pmbplus and Image Alchemy
(http://www.handmadesw.com).  I hope to reward everyone with a useful
"Geography on Linux" web page in the near future.

    It's funny.  I did a lot of work with LTPlus starting in 1989
when I introduced it to Infotec Development Inc.  for a large
topographic data capture project.  Still I almost forgot about it
in my "Geography on Linux" talk last Thursday.  I have seen Dan
Haskell's "LTPlus for Linux", and I think it is the best GIS data
for Linux.  In fact, it is good by any standard.

    As far as I know Dan still sells LTPlus.  In fact, he recently
told me he was working on a new release.  His email address is
dhaskell at halycon.com.

    I'm still interested in Linux based GIS packages.  I welcome
and value everyone's comments on this.

                                          David Mandel
                                          Chief Activist
                                          Portland Linux Users Group
                                          1114 NE 57th
                                          Portland, Oregon 97213
                                          dmandel at transport.com

 David Mandel, Linux Activist             dmandel at transport.com
 Internet Provided by:   Transport Logic         (503) 243-1940
               Serving the Pacific Northwestern USA
 Portland  *  Vancouver  *  McMinnville   *   Salem    *   Bend