Linus and IBM machines

hansman at erols.com hansman at erols.com
Wed Apr 3 07:00:00 EST 1996

At 11:51 AM 4/2/96 -0500, you wrote:

>We are investigating various machines to purchase that will do
>double duty as windows95 and Linux boxes...
>Linux of GRASS4.1 and other uses
>
>someone cautioned us
>about the machines such as IBM Aptiva and others that the hardware
>may not be compatible with Linux ...
>
>does anyone have experience with IBM boxes/Linux/Grass   ?
>
>Thanks
>
>Regards
>Vince

 -----
>geomancer - one who practices divination by means of a figure
>            made by a handful of earth thrown down at random or
>            by figures or lines formed by a number of dots made at random.
>phone: 905-828-5299    http://eratos.erin.utoronto.ca/res/vbr/web/index.html
>fax:   905-828-5273

Vince,

I recently configured my home computer (a Quantex Pentium 150) to dual boot
Windows 95 and Linux (I am using Linux only for GRASS).   Even though I am a
UNIX dummy, it was fairly simple.   To get started, I purchased a book
called Linux SECRETS by Naba Barkakati.   This book contains around 900
pages of very usefull information, along with a CD containing the latest
version of Slackware Linux 3.0, and XFree86.   With the help of the book, I
was able to get Linux up and running in about 2-3 hours, but I did have
trouble with the XFree86 server and my ATI MACH64 graphics card.   I solved
this problem by purchasing a commercial server (acceleratedX) from X Inside
(http://www.xinside.com).   This solved my problem in less than 5 minutes.
For GRASS, I purchased a CD from Andreas Holz
(holzandr at erls12.kwu.siemens.de) which is running well (after a few simple
glitches were worked out).   If you want any more information, feel free to
call or e-mail me.

Randy Page
hansman at erols.com
(703) 273-8700 9-5 EST