GRASS 4.1 Installation

Billy Phu pcb at is.dal.ca
Thu Aug 15 16:29:58 EDT 1996

Hey there Justin!

You're from the maritimes, eh?  How in god's name did you ever find your way down to
Thailand?  (But then again, I do suppose that you have a job, and no sense sticking
around where there isn't one..)

Anyhow, regarding your installation notes!  They were fairly thorough and definitely
useful!  You had progressed farther than I had and even attempted to fix many of the
warnings; I have a nasty habit of ignoring warnings when I compile things that I
didn't write myself.  I've taken a lot of what you did to more quickly track down
the errors when I compiled the source on our computer; I had finished compiling much
of the other source today, with the notable exceptions of
	src.contrib/PURDUE/gnuplot
	src.contrib/PURDUE/d.linegraph
	src.contrib/SCS -- all of it.

I'll have to get a handle on the SCS and gnuplot stuff soon.  We have some alternate
equipment here that you didn't list your document (a couple of Summagraphics
digitizers and plotters.  I thought a note about those items may help anyone else
that is unsure of what they are doing (a note to refer them to whoever maintains the
systems there, I guess.  Or some advice).  I've found a lot of the errors that were
identified in one part of the source was evident in others.  I wonder if there's a
way to fix it once and have it done with or not.  HMm..  Oh yeah, a minor point
about that file you sent.  I think most of the source directories ware actually
$SRC/src/CMD/..etc.. instead of $GIS/src/CMD/..etc that you had listed.  I don't
think it makes much of a difference for most people.  Of course, a list of the
things you _have_ to do to get it to compile on the first pass would be useful as
well.

I'm not sure how far you got along in the compiling of the source, but ifyou want, I
can tell you the notes that I have so far.

Talk to you soon!
BIll