MapInfo -> GRASS

David Mandel dmandel at transport.com
Mon Feb 26 07:00:00 EST 1996

On Mon, 26 Feb 1996 eychenie at cirad.fr wrote:

> I would want to write the same converter for GRASS.
> But... I do not have the file format of GRASS !
> Do you have it ?

I don't have much experience with GRASS conversion programs, so I hope
someone else responds as well, but ...

The GRASS Programer's Manual should describe everything you need.
Most importantly, you do not need to know the file formats for GRASS
as GRASS provides an open development library.  By using this and
calling GRASS functions to read and write data, one decreases the
maintanance problems from version to version.  If a future version
of GRASS would change file formats, one could probably update one's
conversion software with little more than of relinkage.

Wouldn't it be nice if most commercial software came with open
development libraries?

                                               Dave Mandel

 David Mandel, Linux Activist             dmandel at transport.com
 Internet Provided by:   Transport Logic         (503) 243-1940
               Serving the Pacific Northwestern USA
 Portland  *  Vancouver  *  McMinnville   *   Salem    *   Bend