v.in.arc

G. Zacharioudakis GIORGOS at ers.bham.ac.uk
Fri Feb 16 07:00:00 EST 1996

Hello Eric,

We had faced the same problem, not especially with v.in.arc, but with
all the vector files using v.support.
However we did not receive the 5132 number but a similar message:
 "segmentation fault, core dumped"followed by "Could not build binary vector fi
le"
When v.support is run, another internal command is run; the v.build.
Probably somewhere this command crashes your system.
But you have to see the source files and check where it crashes
exactly.
Bill brown had sent me the following as an answer to MY problem:

>Giorgos,

>This is an old problem that never got fixed:
>
> There was a bug in the file src/mapdev/Vlib/level_two.c that existed
> for a short time between update 4 and update 5.  Although it was
> fixed and made it into the update_package 5, at the time the
> s5.cpio* files were created, the bug was still there.  So a diff
> on the file included in the update_package vs. the file in the s5*
> source results in:
> 176,177d175
> <       fclose(map->dig_fp);
> <       map->dig_fp=NULL;
>
> If they downloaded the s5* source, the bug is still there, but if
> they applied the update_package, they should be OK.  I assume the
> binaries should be OK since they were probably done after the
> source & update package, but haven't tried them.
>

>The fix:
>download the file ftp://moon.cecer.army.mil/grass/incoming/level_two.c
>and replace your src/mapdev/Vlib/level_two.c

>Then recompile Vlib and v.build

All the above worked with my problem.
But you have to check what causes the reproduction of the error
message
Giorgos Zacharioudakis
School of Earth Sciences
University of Birmingham