contour labels

William A Perkins perk at phoebus.pnl.gov
Mon Feb 5 07:00:00 EST 1996

    Andrew> Hi,

    Andrew> Can anyone give me information on how to get labels on
    Andrew> contour lines after using r.contour? I can get a vector
    Andrew> map of contour lines but with no labels, which isn't
    Andrew> helping much.

    Andrew> Thanks in advance.

    Andrew> Drew

    Andrew> Andrew W. Ellis                     (302) 831-2344
    Andrew> 211 Pearson Hall                    ellis at strauss.udel.edu
    Andrew> Department of Geography
    Andrew> University of Delaware
    Andrew> Newark, DE 19716

Andrew,

Here's what I have done in the past:

  1. Use s.in.ascii to convert the attributes file for the generated
     contours into a site list.  Typically it would be something like:

        cd $LOCATION/dig_att
        awk '/^L/ { print $2, $3, $4; } contours | s.in.ascii site=contour_labe

  2. Use s.label to convert the sites into labels.

  3. Use d.labels to move badly placed labels and remove extra labels.
     I don't have a lot of luck with d.labels, so I edit the label
     file directly more often than not.

There can sometimes be a lot of manual labor involved, and the results
are typically not very pretty, but it works.

Hope this helps.

Bill.
--
Bill Perkins