HELP: Probl. with v.in.dxf / v.support!!!!

G. Zacharioudakis GIORGOS at ers.bham.ac.uk
Tue Jan 30 07:00:00 EST 1996

Hi netters,

I tried to investigate the nature of the problem I was facing with the
v.in.dxf command  and v.support.
The initial problem was traced as soon as I ran v.in.dxf  and created a
binary vector file. Then running v.support I got the error message:
"segmentation fault, core dumped"followed by "Could not build binary vector fil
e"
as v.support was trying to tidy up the mess.
Trying to debug I created comments in between the lines of the relevant
.c files so that I know where to look to find the source of the error message.

So I went to the source directory and particularly to the
source/src/mapdev/v.support and by reading the files I found out that
by running v.support another internal GRASS command v.build is executed.
Going to the source/src/mapdev/v.build/main.c I found out that the cause was
around line 139 where the main.c is trying to open _dig and dig_plus files.
This leaded to the source/src/mapdev/v.build/open_files.c file where it was pro
ducing
error at the line "if 0>V2__init_for _create_plus" which is the first line of a
 routine
having the comments:
"#Unsupported library routine
#Kids do not try at home"(!!!!!!!!)

This line made me refer to source/src/mapdev/Vlib/open2c where the line
`V2__init_for _create_plus' was found at the beginning of
another routine around line 100 with introductory comments:
"use this routine only at your own risk
It is not supported
It was designed to aide v.build when needs to open a dig file for RW
and create a dig_plus file anew"
I tried putting a printf statement at the top of  the line above but this wasne
ver executed
and the program crashed.
I could not carry further on.

If somebody can carry on or has experienced similar problem be in touch !!!!!
I remind you that all the above are errors in GRASS recently compiled into
a SGI Power Indigo2 Platform.

In addition to the previous problem, I later found out commands that are relete
d with vectors such as:
v.digit (never plots the vector)
d.vect (seems to work, never displays the vector) do not work as
well.
I am stuck.......

Thanks in advance.
Sorry for the length of my letter....