PostScript Printer installation&configuration

Ronald Wiemer RWIEM at archis.nl
Tue Jan 30 07:00:00 EST 1996

> There is a Hewlett Packard Paintjet XL300 Postscript Printer already
> installed in our department.
> How can I install it to GRASS so that I can use all the ps. and p.
> commands.?

Use the xl300 postscript option and grass's ps-programs.
If you put the dipswitches in PCL5-mode then you will have to send a
command to switch into postscript mode. Apart from this, the xl300
postscript expects a Control-d at the end of the postscript file. I
have made a small script for this. It is called lpcolor:

:
# lpcolor: prints postscript on xl300-ps printer.
if [ ! -r $1 ]
then
    echo "File is not readable or does not exist"
    exit
fi
(
/usr/5bin/echo "\033%-12345X at PJL ENTER LANGUAGE = POSTSCRIPT"
cat $1
/usr/5bin/echo "\004\033%-12345X\c"
) | lpr -Pcolor_printer -h
# color_printer: name of your local networked xl300-ps

If you would like to print on large paper format, the header of
the postscript file has to contain these statements:

%%EndProlog
%%BeginSetup
<</InputAttributes <<0<<
/PageSize[841 1190]>> >> >> setpagedevice
<</PageSize[841 1190]>> setpagedevice
%%EndSetup

841: width of paper in 1/72 of an inch (calculate this for your own
     papersize)
1190: height of paper in 1/72 of an inch

Succes

Ronald Wiemer
R.O.B. / Archis
Kerkstraat 1