SGI and d.mon iris trouble

A.cvc.cvc at itd.dsto.defence.gov.au A.cvc.cvc at itd.dsto.defence.gov.au
Thu Jan 25 07:00:00 EST 1996

?Cosyn?Bart??at?Jan?24??96?09?07?20?am at bnr.ca>
content-type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
organization: University of Illinois at Urbana
mime-version: 1.0
reply-to: grassu-list at max.cecer.army.mil
newsgroups: info.grass.user
originator: daemon at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

Cosyn Bart writes:

> > * Why can't I select "iris" in the x-menu for d.mon, only from the grass sh
ell?
> >     (iris doesn't appear as a choice, only x0, x1 ... x6 or x7)
>
> xgrass is written for the X-motif environment and as the iris monitor
> needs the typical DLG-capabilities of Silicon. Its just a question of
> making xgrass multiplatform!

Not exactly. Xgrass makes Motif calls in order to produce a user interface,
but makes lower level Xlib or Iris graphics calls in order to display to
monitors. Assuming that src/display/devices/IRIS has been compiled, and that
$ARCH/etc/monitorcap contains uncommented entries for IRIS drivers called i0,i1
,
etc, then these need also to be defined in src/xgrass/xclip/d.mon in order to
be accessible from xgrass. My file contains this sort of thing:

    parameter monitor
        type:enum:"i0,i1,i2,i3,i4,i5,i6,CELL,x0,x1,x2,x3,x4,x5,x6"
        help:"Select the monitor you wish to manipulate."
        optional:true
        default:"x0"

--
Conn V Copas