extracting raster elevation along an XY vector path

Evaristo QUIROGA evaristo at cataw.uab.es
Wed Jan 24 07:00:00 EST 1996

< Hello Grass Users,
<
< I am a Grass neophyte so I'm hoping for a little patience here. How can I
< extract elevations from a raster map along a **complicated** vector path?
< I have learned about r.profile, r.transect, and d.profile, but none of
< these seem to be appropriate in cases where an XY vector has a large
< number (1000s) of coordinates.
<
< Thanks in advance,
<
< John Shimeld
< ab340 at ccn.cs.dal.ca
<
        Dear John:

Get from the "moon" server the "g.gnuplot.3d" program. This program of Janne
Soimasuo creates 3-d images of vector maps for display with the "g.gnuplot"
program. But the intermediate files created by "g.gnuplot.3d" are in ASCII
format, with the X Y coordinates of the original vector map and the Z value
from the choised elevation raster map.

                Bye,
                                Evaristo

       __                                                      __
      / /          Evaristo QUIROGA RAIMUNDEZ                 / /
/    /          UNIVERSIDAD AUTONOMA DE BARCELONA       /    /
\__/\\    Gabinete de Analisis Territorial y Ambiental  \__/\\
     \\__ Unidad de Geodinamica Externa y Hidrogeologia      \\__
     /  /\                 Edificio CS                       /  /\
     \ / /\       08193 - Bellaterra (BARCELONA)             \ / /\
      \ /  \               SPAIN                              \ /  \
       \___/        email: evaristo at cataw.uab.es               \___/