LAUNCHING GRASS FROM A SCRIPT?

Mike Bender mike at ce.umanitoba.ca
Mon Jan 22 07:00:00 EST 1996

> Hello Grass users
>
> I was wondering if  GRASS (version 4.1) could be launched by means of a scrip
> where variables such as mapset and location could be included in that script.
> asically I want to avoid the initial "interactive" interface and pass to comm
an
> d line (or again
> launch commands) from the script.
>
> Thanks for any reply.
>
> ^Angela

I've been absent from the list for a couple of weeks, and I'm sure everybody is
 getting sick of this topic, but I'll get my 2 bits in anyway.

Angela, you've gotten some good advice from other (more knowledgeable) people.
 I am a relative novice, so my approach is very simple.  If you are also a novi
ce, you might appreciate this uncomplicated form of running GRASS.

I have a file with GRASS environment variables which I source.  That's basicall
y all you need.  There are a few exceptions, however.  You need to set an addit
ional variable at the time you execute commands such as v.digit.

Here are the commands I use to start GRASS non-interactively:

setenv GIS /home/ce/u3/GRASS/GRASS4.1
setenv GISBASE $GIS
setenv GISDBASE /home/ce/u3/GRASS/GRASSdata
setenv GISRC $HOME/.grassrc
set path = ( $path $GISBASE/bin $GISBASE/scripts $GISBASE/garden/bin )
set path = ( $path /home/ce/u3/mike/CPSS )
setenv XDRIVER_HEIGHT 500
setenv XDRIVER_WIDTH 1140
setenv XDRIVER_LEFT 1
setenv XDRIVER_TOP 369
setenv DIGITIZER none
setenv LOCATION $GISDBASE/wuskwatim
setenv MAPSET $LOCATION/mike

To start v.digit, I have a small script:

GIS_LOCK=$$
export GIS_LOCK
v.digit

Have fun,

Mike Bender
Department of Civil & Geological Engineering
University of Manitoba