masking

Robin L McNeely mobes at iastate.edu
Mon Jan 8 07:00:00 EST 1996

Thanks in advance for your help.

I am working with soils data in raster format at Iowa State University.  I
have masked a township one section at a time and need to produce r.report
files for each section.  I need to do this for seven maps per section and
would like to automate the process since eventually I will need to make
files for an entire county.  My problem is that r.mask is not interactive
and can't be included in a shell script.  I tried to achieve a mask-like
effect with g.region but it gave me a 90 degree box, not the skewed boundary
of a section.  This affects the results listed in r.report such as acres and
cell count.

I am looking for a non-interactive mask command that I hope was written by
someone intending to automate the masking of many files.  I would also be
happy to hear if there is a way to achieve similar results with existing
GRASS 4.1 commands.   Thank you.

Robin McNeely
Department of Landscape Architecture