vect polygons to MapInfo

Ronald Wiemer RWIEM at archis.nl
Tue Jan 2 07:00:00 EST 1996

> Has anyone done this before? Since MapInfo
> needs a polygon/region self-contained
> no matter where it shares boundaries with
> others or not, it won't take GRASS vector
> polygons exported in v.out.ascii?

Hi,

I have put a program called v.out.mif on the incoming directory of
moon. It makes a mif and a mid file from a grass vector map (polygons
only).
The resulting files are stored in the directory $LOCATION/mapinfo.

If you have rasterized the vector map with grass and you have
assigned colors to the different categories you can use this raster
map to color the exported vector map.

The header of the mif file contains information on the projection
and type of coordinate system used. Since I only use the Dutch
coordinate system, you will have to edit this if you want another one.

The coordinates are written in the format %10.1lf If you need another
format, edit the source.

MIF files can also be imported into Arc-View. There is a tool
MIFSHAPE, which converts MIF-files to Arc-View SHAPE files.

Wish you all good luck and best wishes for 1996

Ronald Wiemer
R.O.B. / ARCHIS
kerkstraat 1
3811 CV Amersfoort