Need help importing DEM data

William A Perkins perk at phoebus.pnl.gov
Wed Mar 20 07:00:00 EST 1996

    James> Hi,

    James> I'm a new grass user and would like to import some USGS DEM
    James> data.  This is what I have done:

    James> downloaded las_vegas-e.gz from
    James> edcftp.cr.usgs.gov/pub/data/DEM/250/L decompressed with
    James> gzip

    James> dd if=las_vegas-e ibs=10240 | m.dmaUSGSread top=1 bottom=1201 \
    James> left=1 right=1201 output=las_vegas-e.dat logfile=las_vegas-e.log

These are not the options I use with dd.  From
<ftp://edcftp.cr.usgs.gov/pub/data/DEM/250/00README>:

    RECORD DELIMITERS:
    The DEM files do not contain record delimiters.  You can add delimiters by
    using the following UNIX command:

    dd if=inputfilename of=outputfilename ibs=4096 cbs=1024 conv=unblock

I'm not sure that would explain your results, though.  Is the strip
about 1/10th the correct size (1024/10240)?

--
Bill Perkins
Battelle Pacific Northwest Laboratories
voice: (509) 372-6131 fax: (509) 372-6328 email: wa_perkins at pnl.gov