needs your help

Lawrence Houston grass at boyd.geog.mcgill.ca
Thu May 9 08:00:00 EDT 1996

On Fri, 9 Feb 1996 risca.rs.msu.edu!kang at felix.geog.mcgill.ca wrote:

> I recently put the Linux GRASS 4.15 binaries on the moon.  I got three direct
> messages to me so far.  If you have downloaded and installed successfully,
> could you send me an e-mail "kang at daphnia.rs.msu.edu" directly.  I forgot to
> put one very important note in the readme file.
>
> "THE LINUX GRASS 4.15 BINARIES ONLY WORK ON ELF-LINUX"
>
> If you are using any non-ELF Linux, please don't even try it.  As Paul has
> mentioned, if you have any question, please send me an e-mail or post it on t
he
> grassu list (I am not on the grassp list).

Fellow GRASS 4.1.5 (for Linux/ELF) Users:

In his README Kang specifies the components of the Linux System he used to
complile GRASS 4.1.5 (for Linux/ELF) were:

        Slackware 3.0
        kernel 1.2.13
        gcc 2.7.0
        libc 5.0.9
        flex 3.5.2

In the move from version "5.0.9" to "5.2.18" of the GNU Libc for Linux,
both the "curses" & "termcap" Libraries were dropped (recommending people
switch from using "curses/termcap" to using "ncurses").  For example this
creates a problem for those using Red Hat 3.0.3!  Although this Linux
Package does use GNU Libc 5.2.18, the "curses" Library is NOT included in
Red Hat's "standard" distribrution.  It is though available on their FTP
Site:

     ftp.redhat.com:/pub/misc/libcurses-1.0-1.i386.rpm

Lawrence Houston  -  (grass at boyd.geog.mcgill.ca)