grass & solaris

Marino Vetuschi Zuccolini zucco at dister.unige.it
Fri Apr 4 12:44:56 EST 1997

Dear grassusers,

I'm a new user of GRASS/XGRASS on a Sparcstation4. I know already GRASS
installed on a Mac machine (running on MachTen).
I've installed the binary versio from moon-site (sol.4.tar.Z.*).
My SunSparc4 "voltaire" (32Mb/110MHz-swapfile min size) has SunOS 5.5.1
and Solaris 2.5.1 in developer installation; in /opt/ directory I've
installed gcc-2.7.2, libg++, gdb, altough I'm not a developer. Next I
will install Mesa's libs and netCDF libs.
But regarding GRASS I've found some inconsistecies that are a little bit
noisy.

a) lots of programs send a Segmentation Fault - core dumped (ie d.3d,
v.to.rast,r.digit, v.to.sites, r.mapcalc...)

b)Analyzing core file, as I can:
voltaire# file core
core: ELF 32-bit MSB core file SPARC Version1, from 'v.to.rast' # (or
program running)
voltaire# adb core
core file = core --program "v.to.rast" on platform SUNW,SPARCSTATION 1
SIGSEGV: Segmentation fault

c) d.what.rast, d.what.vect, d.where have strange behaviors: they not
shows the dialogs about button-actions in the console window and nothing
happens on the console; clicking on the raster window nothing happens
until I click the right button that exit the program. When the program
is in execution I triyed to generate an output file to store choosed
coordinates and in the file is all ok!

d) this programs show these messages
- r.surf.voronoi: eof from graphic monitor
- r.surf.contour, r.coin, and lots of other programs: the process it
seems to be appended waiting some action and nothing happens; with
return-key the prompt appear.

e) xgrass4.1
It starts ok  creating the window to choose the dataset but it doesn't
accept keyboard input on the fields.

many thanks

marino vetuschi zuccolini