Linux binaries and libcurses

Howard Evan Canfield canfield at ag.arizona.edu
Tue Aug 5 13:04:18 EDT 1997

root wrote:

> I obtained the Linux ELF binaries and installed them, and when
> I try to run grass, I get the error:
>
> /usr/local/grass/etc/gis_set: can't load library 'libcurses.so.1'
>
> Apparently, grass is looking for an obsolete libcurses.  Does anyone
> know what to do about this?  Do I hunt down an old version of the
> libcurses?  Does recompiling under Redhat Linux  with gcc require
> extensive source code modifications?  I tried linking to the libcurses
> on my machine, libncurses.so.3.0, but it garbled the screen.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob Harrington

Bob,

I had this problem a couple of months ago.  What you need to do is
download the libcurses.so.1 from the moon.cecer outgoing file (i.e. the
GRASS ftp site).

Other people have reported no problem using ncurses, but I have used the
libcurses.so.1 from the moon cecer site, and it seems to work fine, as
do the rest of my linux programs

Evan

*	Howard Evan Canfield			*
*	Dept. of Ag. And Biosystems Eng.	*